Skin aging is a result of both intrinsic and genetically programmed aging that occurs with time, and extrinsic aging caused by environmental factors.
The most noticeable changes are wrinkling, loss of elasticity, laxity and rough-textured appearance.
While it is currently impossible to stop or reverse the genetic processes responsible for intrinsic aging, skin changes associated with extrinsic aging can be considerably reduced.
- Wash with a mild cleanser twice a day. Always remove your make up before going to bed.
- Moisturise as much as your skin needs depending on dryness.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) to all skin not covered by clothing. When outdoors, seek shade, wear a wide-brimmed hat, long sleeves and trousers or use an umbrella.
- Quit smoking. Nicotine causes blood vessels to narrow, reducing oxygen flow and nutrients to skin cells.
- Drink less alcohol. It dehydrates the skin. Fine lines, wrinkles and pores become more visible.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats and low in sugar is highly advisable. Vegetables and fruits contain antioxidants which can protect your skin cells and tissues from the effects of free radicals.
- 7. Exercise regularly. Exercise increases blood flow which helps nourish skin cells.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions. Avoid squinting, frowning or pursing lips. Repeated muscle contraction over many years may cause deep facial lines and wrinkles to form on the skin overlying the muscles.
- Get enough sleep. Yes, we all need that beauty rest. Sleep is vital for skin renewal and repair.
Younger individuals are usually more concerned about prevention, while the older ones are more focused on correction. There are several treatment options available to soften the signs of aging including chemical peelings, radiofrequency, laser, Botox, dermal fillers etc.
Visit your dermatologist to learn more about your skin condition and the best medications/products to take care of it, as well as to receive treatments to obtain your skin goals.