MIAA urges passengers to redeem Php277M unrefunded terminal fees

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) is calling for passengers of domestic and international flights in the country to redeem their unrefunded terminal fees from unused tickets which now amounts to over Php277 million.

MIAA General Manager Ed Monreal said that as of November 6, P277,654,379 worth of unrefunded terminal fees have been remitted by different domestic and international airline companies.

From Cebu Pacific and CebGo airlines alone, a total of P172,333,700 million worth of terminal fees remain unrefunded while 18 international airline companies have remitted P105,320,679 million.

“The amount is kept by MIAA in a trust account and is distinct and separate from the agency’s corporate funds. The money does not belong to MIAA,” Monreal said.

“It will remain in the trust account until fully refunded to the passengers who own them,” he added.

How can I claim my refund?

For overseas Filipino workers, a copy of their Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC), a valid ID, and the airline ticket need to be presented to avail of the refund.

Non-OFW passengers, meanwhile, need to submit a copy of their ticket or secure any proof from the airline company that they missed their flights. A valid ID is also needed.

Passengers may claim their refund in a booth set up in departure areas of airports.

Another Php500 million terminal fees collected from OFWs

Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines spokesperson Eric Apolonio said that OFWs must personally be present to refund their terminal fees since point of sale cannot recognize if the purchaser is indeed an OFW.

Apolonio’s statement came after labor secretary Silvestre Bello III reminded airline companies not to collect any travel tax and terminal fees from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) as they are exempted from such fees.

Bello also called for the refund of at least P500 million worth of terminal fees and another P500 million worth of travel tax that airline companies had previously collected from OFWs.

Bello said that OFWs can still claim their terminal fee refund by visiting the OWWA office and presenting their Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC).


Related Articles

Back to top button