Saturday, December 14, 2019

Jun 17 18, 3:08 pm

PNP says  ‘abduction stories’ online mostly ‘fake’ 

The Philippine National Police has downplayed cases of abduction being reported on social media, which also include harvest of organs, as fake news. PNP Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac cited the kidnapping case in Bulacan as one of those false reports. “We also...

Emirates does a dramatic touchdown amid strong crosswinds

A stunning spectacle of Emirate Airbus A380 aircraft’s landing at Manchester Airport was seen while braving the crosswinds caused by Storm Atiyah. Strong winds of up to 43 mph were recorded at the airport. The pilot of the passenger plane assured they made a safe...

Netizens react to Tito Sotto’s request to take down Pepsi Paloma articles

by | TOP STORIES

Jun. 17, 18 | 3:08 pm

Pepsi Paloma became a trending topic on social media over the weekend after Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III submitted a request to Inquirer.Net to take down three articles involving him to the death of the late actress-dancer.

In a Facebook post by US-based columnist Rodel Rodis, Sotto asked the media company to take down its articles titled, “The Rape of Pepsi Paloma“, “Was Pepsi Paloma Murdered?“, and “Tito Sotto Denies Whitewashing Pepsi Paloma Rape Case“. Rodis was the author of the first two articles mentioned.

The three articles talk about Paloma’s controversial death in 1985 and the multiple speculations behind it.

Paloma’s death continues to be one of the greatest “mystery” in Philippine show business. Many reports confirmed that Paloma took her own life on May 31, 1985. However, there are also conspiracies theories saying that the actress-dancer was allegedly drugged and raped three years before her death.

Rodis’ Facebook post shows a letter sent by Senator Sotto to Paolo Prieto, president and chairman of Inquirer Interactive Inc., saying that “these kinds of unverified articles have been negatively affecting [his] reputation for the longest time.”

Sotto added in the letter that his efforts to clarify his side of the issue had been “ineffectual” due to articles’ ubiquitous circulation online.

He also said that many readers who are oblivious of what happened would take those articles as the “version of truth” since Inquirer.Net has already earned its reputation as a “well-trusted company”.

The TV host-turned-politician then clarified that his request is not “trampling on [the] freedom of speech of the press.”

As seen in his Facebook post, Rodis disagreed to Sotto’s request because complying with such will set a “dangerous precedent”.

Since then, Inquirer.Net has released an official statement as a reply to Sotto’s letter.

“We had received and have been receiving similar requests from people and organizations to have articles written about them and posted on the site be taken down, citing reasons ranging from inaccuracy to being unduly vilified in public and threatened with harm not only to them but also to their family.

“Some had filed libel suits. We have acted on these requests judiciously and made decisions based on our own investigation and based on our journalistic values and principles,” Abelardo Ulanday, publisher and editor-in-chief of Inquirer.Net, wrote.

After Rodis posted Sotto’s request on social media, many netizens got enraged and decided to air their concerns online.

Some said the timing of Sotto’s request was questionable since it was sent eight days after he became Senate President.

Jobs

Latest News

PNP says  ‘abduction stories’ online mostly ‘fake’ 

PNP says  ‘abduction stories’ online mostly ‘fake’ 

The Philippine National Police has downplayed cases of abduction being reported on social media, which also include harvest of organs, as fake news. PNP Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac cited the kidnapping case in Bulacan as one of those false reports. “We also...

Emirates does a dramatic touchdown amid strong crosswinds

Emirates does a dramatic touchdown amid strong crosswinds

A stunning spectacle of Emirate Airbus A380 aircraft’s landing at Manchester Airport was seen while braving the crosswinds caused by Storm Atiyah. Strong winds of up to 43 mph were recorded at the airport. The pilot of the passenger plane assured they made a safe...

Duterte warns military may take over water services

Duterte warns military may take over water services

President Rodrigo Duterte yesterday indicated that the military may have to lead operations of water services in Metro Manila over his continuing frustrations about concession agreements with Maynilad and Manila Water. “Last night, I was talking to the PSG, sinabi ko...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 2.5 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 2.5 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

© 2019 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in TOP STORIES
Duterte orders investigation on ‘tanim bala’ incident at NAIA
Published On  June 17, 2018
WATCH: Sara Duterte shares Father’s Day message for President Duterte
Published On  June 17, 2018
DFA opens 100,000 passport appointment slots today
Published On  June 14, 2018
Close