Tourists will temporarily not be able to see the sunrise view from Sagada after a fire engulfed Kiltepan peak on November 8.
The tourist spot gained popularity after it was featured on the movie “That Thing Called Tadhana” starring Angelica Panganiban and JM de Guzman.
All tours to the said location are temporarily cancelled after the municipal government of Sagada issued a notice on November 9.
“Due to the fire incident in Kiltepan last night, all tours to Kiltepan Peak are temporarily prohibited until further notice. Please visit the Tourist Information Office for other options for sunrise viewing,” the notice reads.
The fire hit two buildings, owned by contractor Wilson Capuyan, which are near the area where tourists stay to watch the sunrise. Both buildings were unoccupied when the fire happened, except for its caretaker.
The Sagada police said that they heard explosions towards the direction of Sitio Batalao, Antadao village. They quickly responded and went to the place where the explosions were heard and found out that the two buildings were on fire.
Authorities said that they found a cup filled with gasoline at one of the structures that experienced the explosion. They said that the cost of damage is around P5 million.
Photo credits: Sagada LGU via Rappler