In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) gives residents a 30-day grace period to stay in the country after the visa expiration.
However, if this grace period passed and your visa has not yet been renewed, applicable penalties will be fined against you based from the fine system of the Ministry of Interior.
• First six months (180 days) – Dh25 per day
• Second six months (180 days) – Dh50 per day;
• One year and more – Dh100 per day
It is also important to learn that as soon as your visa expires, your Emirates ID card issued by the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (ICA) will also expire.
Renewal of visa
In order to prevent inconvenience, it is advisable to renew your visa in advance. And before going to the GDRFA office or any approved typing centers for visa renewal, make sure you have the following requirements:
• A sponsor with a valid residency permit
• Medical fitness certificate for those 18 and above
• An insurance card (mandatory in Dubai and Abu Dhabi)
• A renewed identity card issued from ICA, or an original receipt that you have registered with ICA to get a renewal.
For those being sponsored, make sure to have these documents on hand:
• Online application or application through a registered typing office for renewal of visa (should be signed by the sponsor)
• Original passport of the sponsored
• Photo of the sponsored
For sponsors that are working in the private sector, make sure to have copies of the following:
• Valid firm card
• Valid trade licence
• Renewed labor card of the sponsored
For sponsors that are 60 years old and above, a copy of labor card renewal receipt will be needed.
Meanwhile, those who are sponsoring their families and relatives of first and second degree must present:
• Copy of the husband’s/wife’s employment contract
• Salary certificate stating the employee’s monthly salary
• Legalised marriage certificate
• Registered tenancy contract
• Latest utility bill
Renewal of visa valid for two years would cost Dh310 up to Dh410 depending on the category. For three year validity, fee is from Dh410 to Dh510.
The entire process should take no more than a week or two from the time you submit your application.
Source: Official Portal of the UAE Government