News

No more stranded OFWs in NAIA, OWWA says

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) said there are no more overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) stranded at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) following a runway mishap that delayed their flights last week.

In an interview on noontime news program Balintanghali, OWWA administrator Hans Leo Cacdac said no stranded OFWs were spotted in their last rounds at the airport.

On OFWs facing possible job lay-offs due to the delay, Cacdac said they are coordinating with the Saudi Embassy to renew or extend the visas of the affected OFWs. A certification stating the reason of the OFWs delay, many of whom from Saudi, were also provided by the Philippine government to help explain the situation to the OFWs’ employers.

“Nakipag-coordinate naman tayo sa Saudi embassy at ngayong Biyernes, magsasama tayo ng mga ilang OFWs na nag-expire yung kanilang visa, and we will request the Saudi Embassy here in Manila to renew or extend their visa. And we will do the same with other embassies,” Cacdac said.

OFWs with expiring exit visas may still call (02) 551-1560.

Earlier, a Xiamen Airlines jet that overshot on the NAIA runway late Thursday night, August 16, due to heavy downpour and paralyzed operations there for two days.

Due to the incident, many OFWs feared of losing their jobs due to the delay of their flights. Some OFWs even reported that they only rely on food given to them by other departing passengers and spend the whole night inside the airport as food and accommodations were not provided by their respective airline carriers.

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close