A two-vehicle convoy of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) was ambushed by members of the New People’s Army (NPA) at a checkpoint in Arakan, Cotabato early Wednesday.
The PSG convoy was headed to Cagayan de Oro from Camp Panacan in Davao City when about 100 to 150 rebels, clad in military uniforms posing as members of Task Force Davao, open fired on them.
“Biglang may nagpanggap na taga Task Force Davao na nagco-conduct ng spot checkpoint. Alam natin na ang galawang ito ay galaw ng mga NPA, ang pagpapanggap na mga sundalo,” PSG Spokesperson Col. Mike Aquino said in a media interview.
The attack left four members of the presidential security detail injured and one member of the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (Cafgu) dead.
The clash comes after President Rodrigo Duterte’s order earlier this year that formal peace talks with the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines will not resume unless they stop attacking government troops in Mindanao.
On Monday, PNP Chief Ronald dela Rosa said they have received information that the NPA was planning an attack in Davao before Duterte’s SONA on July 24.