News

Duterte rejects proposed Manila Bay reclamation

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said he has reservations over proposed reclamation projects in Manila Bay.
The president cited the environmental impacts of 25 reclamation projects which covers almost 10,000 hectares from Navotas City to Cavite.
“If it’s an investment to infuse more money into the Philippine economy, it’s OK. But reclaiming 10,000 hectares of the Manila Bay is mind boggling. There might be some offices and residences,” Duterte said during an interview with DZMM.
“I am not ready even to say that I will grant it, not in my time, as long as there is no guarantee that the environment will be protected and the health of the people also safeguarded,” He added.
Duterte added that there must be an audit on whether the sea could “absorb the waste and where would it go after being treated.”
The Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA) already green lighted four projects namely — the Navotas City coastal bay reclamation project, Pasay 360-hectare reclamation project, Pasay 265-hectare reclamation project and the Horizon Manila 418-hectare reclamation project.
Last year, the President ordered a massive clean-up of Manila Bay as well as the transfer of power to approve reclamation projects back to Philippine Reclamation Authority from National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA).
He also mandated the PRA to seek ‘advisory opinions’ from National Economic and Development Authority, Department of Finance, and Department of Environment and Natural Resources regarding approval of reclamation projects.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close