Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Feb 12 19, 6:19 am

Lacson wants transfer of OFWs convicted abroad to PH jails

SEN. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson wants the repatriation of Filipino convicts from abroad, reported Inquirer. Lacson urged the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to pursue more Transfer of Sentenced Persons agreements with other countries. Lacson called for it Monday during...

DOLE set to release probe results on Eddie Garcia’s death

GMA Network faces a possible fine of P100,000 a day until full compliance of with the provisions of the implementing rules and regulations of the Occupational Safety and Health Standards Law. This is the recent findings of the Department of Labor and Employment in...

Groom has ‘lost hope’ after deadly wedding blast

A GROOM in Afghanistan is still in a state of shock and grieving after a suicide bomber turned his wedding into a bloody incident— killing 63 and wounding more than 180 people. Speaking to Tolo News, Mirwais Elmi said his bride survived but his brother and other...

Dubai sets an example of ‘Service-driven’ and ‘Tourism-driven’ economy: OECD Chief

by | News

Feb. 12, 19 | 6:19 am

WAM: At a time when oil is still a very important ingredient for the UAE economy, Dubai sets an example of “Service-driven” and “Tourism-driven” economy.

Jose Angel Gurria Trevino, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD, says “Dubai is now mostly service-driven; tourism-driven at the time oil is still a very important ingredient for the economy of the country.”

Speaking to the Emirates News Agency, WAM, on the sidelines of the now-running World Government Summit, WGS, he said, “The emirate is a very vibrant and engaging place thanks to all these rapid developments occurring around us here, including world-class medical facilities; a lot of people are coming here for work. And a lot of tourists and shoppers. The country created a different world for those coming for work and visit and enjoy.”

On his evaluation of the WGS, the OECD chief said, “The World Government Summit delivers more than one single message. There is rather a number of messages. This Summit was specialising in government but now specialising in the government of the future; specialising in the government in the digital age. The question now is how to use technology to accelerate and leapfrog and in the same time avoid the more complicated and more challenging side of the use of technology.”

On why trade forecasts recently predicted slower economic growth rates with growth moderating after a period of recovery, the OECD chief, said, “Last May OECD projected the global economy would grow at about 4.00 per cent at 2019 and 2020. However last November we projected the growth to be at 3.5 per cent. Why this 0.5 per cent drop? Tension emerged in the world of trade, primarily between the US and China.

“More paradoxically, as the oil prices fell down, the situation worsened. The dramatic thing about it is that this happened as we started the recovery period. The solution is so simple: avoid trade tensions,” he continued.

The OCED chief seemed skeptical about cryptocurrency. “It’s a crypto asset. This currency started at a value of $70 thousand and it is now $4 thousand only. There is a lot of speculations. At the end, they are speculative assets. They are not generally accepted and they are not regular. Frankly, I think in some cases you could keep some of them while making sure to protect investors and the public.”

Angel Gurria was appointed as the Secretary-General of the OECD on 1 June 2006. He is currently serving his third five-year mandate. Angel Gurria has firmly established the Organisation as a pillar of the global economic governance architecture including the G20, G7 and APEC, and a reference point in the design and implementation of better policies for better lives.

Jobs

Editors Choice

Oplan: Iwas Phone Scam

Oplan: Iwas Phone Scam

A Filipina duped out of her cash amounting to more than Dh20,000 made headlines in May this year. It sent shockwaves to Filipinos and other expats on how it is so easy for a phone scammer to siphon off their cash in a blink of an eye. But this particular incident is a...

Malacañang lifts suspension on PCSO lotto operations

Presidential Spokesperson Sal Panelo confirmed that President Rodrigo Duterte has lifted the suspension of Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) for lotto operations only. "The Lotto operation is less-prone to corruption because it is machine-operated. Maraming...

7 out of 10 Pinoys want to bring their families to UAE

About 70% of the Filipinos working in the UAE whose salaries are within the new immigration bracket are planning to bring their families here. This was according to the recent poll conducted by The Filipino Times to 820 people, a few days after the re§cent...

Ombudsman dismisses 7 erring BOC workers

SEVEN officials of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) have been ordered dismissed by the Office of the Ombudsman due to various offenses such as gross neglect of duty, grave misconduct, conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service, and serious dishonesty. The...

Man loses 15 underwears from ‘undies thief’

A man in Goa, Camarines Sur has lost 15 of his underwears in a span of two weeks to an unknown 'underwear thief'. To some, it may just be underwear. But for Rico Laurenciano, this isn't a funny one if someone is playing a joke on him. In an interview with GMA's Kapuso...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

Latest News
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and never miss a thing. No spam. Only hand-picked trending news.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 1 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

© 2018 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in News
UK learning from UAE e-government model: UK Minister
Published On  February 12, 2019
UAE exemplary for emerging economies, says UNCTAD Chief
Published On  February 12, 2019
Filipino university spearheads opportunities for Pinoy students, teachers to get educational, work experience at UAE-based institutions
Published On  February 11, 2019
Close