Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Feb 12 19, 6:19 am

UAE forecasts humid, cloudy weather this weekend

(WAM) -- The National Center of Meteorology expects weather over the coming five days to be humid and partly cloudy. Following is a detailed weather forecast issued today by the NCM for the coming five days: -Wednesday: Weather: Humid over the coasts especially...

Public school enrollment in PH to start on June 1 – Palace

Public schools enrollment will go as planned starting June 1, 2020, announced Malacanang on Wednesday. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque over an interview on Teleradyo confirmed that public schools across the country will proceed with the enrollment as stated in...

UAE’s Ministry of Education announces resumption of distance learning

The UAE's Ministry of Education has announced that distance learning will recommence today, Wednesday, 27th May 2020, across all public and private schools that implement the ministry's curriculum. In a statement, the ministry explained that access to classes via the...

Saudi extends tourist visas for three months free of charge

Saudi Arabia announced extension of the validity of all tourist visas which had expired during the period of suspension of international flights, the Saudi Press Agency reported. The extension will be made automatically and does not require travel to the General...

Dubai sets an example of ‘Service-driven’ and ‘Tourism-driven’ economy: OECD Chief

by | News

Feb. 12, 19 | 6:19 am

WAM: At a time when oil is still a very important ingredient for the UAE economy, Dubai sets an example of “Service-driven” and “Tourism-driven” economy.

Jose Angel Gurria Trevino, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD, says “Dubai is now mostly service-driven; tourism-driven at the time oil is still a very important ingredient for the economy of the country.”

Speaking to the Emirates News Agency, WAM, on the sidelines of the now-running World Government Summit, WGS, he said, “The emirate is a very vibrant and engaging place thanks to all these rapid developments occurring around us here, including world-class medical facilities; a lot of people are coming here for work. And a lot of tourists and shoppers. The country created a different world for those coming for work and visit and enjoy.”

On his evaluation of the WGS, the OECD chief said, “The World Government Summit delivers more than one single message. There is rather a number of messages. This Summit was specialising in government but now specialising in the government of the future; specialising in the government in the digital age. The question now is how to use technology to accelerate and leapfrog and in the same time avoid the more complicated and more challenging side of the use of technology.”

On why trade forecasts recently predicted slower economic growth rates with growth moderating after a period of recovery, the OECD chief, said, “Last May OECD projected the global economy would grow at about 4.00 per cent at 2019 and 2020. However last November we projected the growth to be at 3.5 per cent. Why this 0.5 per cent drop? Tension emerged in the world of trade, primarily between the US and China.

“More paradoxically, as the oil prices fell down, the situation worsened. The dramatic thing about it is that this happened as we started the recovery period. The solution is so simple: avoid trade tensions,” he continued.

The OCED chief seemed skeptical about cryptocurrency. “It’s a crypto asset. This currency started at a value of $70 thousand and it is now $4 thousand only. There is a lot of speculations. At the end, they are speculative assets. They are not generally accepted and they are not regular. Frankly, I think in some cases you could keep some of them while making sure to protect investors and the public.”

Angel Gurria was appointed as the Secretary-General of the OECD on 1 June 2006. He is currently serving his third five-year mandate. Angel Gurria has firmly established the Organisation as a pillar of the global economic governance architecture including the G20, G7 and APEC, and a reference point in the design and implementation of better policies for better lives.

Jobs

Latest News

Filipino frontliner in Kuwait succumbs to COVID-19

A Filipino nurse in Kuwait passed away due to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Garry Calub, a paramedic and a registered nurse in the Emergency Medical Services of the Kingdom’s Ministry of Health, has succumbed to the disease on May 25 while battling at the front...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 2.5 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

BROCHURES

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

BROCHURES

© 2020 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in News
UK learning from UAE e-government model: UK Minister
Published On  February 12, 2019
UAE exemplary for emerging economies, says UNCTAD Chief
Published On  February 12, 2019
Filipino university spearheads opportunities for Pinoy students, teachers to get educational, work experience at UAE-based institutions
Published On  February 11, 2019
Close