Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Feb 12 19, 6:19 am

Sara Duterte to decide on possible presidential run by 2021

Davao City mayor and presidential daughter Sara Duterte-Carpio on Monday, February 18, said that she will decide on the possibility of her running for presidency by 2021. During the campaign of Hugpong ng Pagbabago senatorial slate in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur,...

Man in Dubai threatens to publish woman’s naked videos

An Indian man in Dubai went on trial after allegedly blackmailing a Filipina woman that he would publish naked videos of her taking a shower if she would not have sex with him or pay him Dh2,000. According to the 39-year-old Filipina, she met the Indian man, who...

Dubai sets an example of ‘Service-driven’ and ‘Tourism-driven’ economy: OECD Chief

by | News

WAM: At a time when oil is still a very important ingredient for the UAE economy, Dubai sets an example of “Service-driven” and “Tourism-driven” economy.

Jose Angel Gurria Trevino, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD, says “Dubai is now mostly service-driven; tourism-driven at the time oil is still a very important ingredient for the economy of the country.”

Speaking to the Emirates News Agency, WAM, on the sidelines of the now-running World Government Summit, WGS, he said, “The emirate is a very vibrant and engaging place thanks to all these rapid developments occurring around us here, including world-class medical facilities; a lot of people are coming here for work. And a lot of tourists and shoppers. The country created a different world for those coming for work and visit and enjoy.”

On his evaluation of the WGS, the OECD chief said, “The World Government Summit delivers more than one single message. There is rather a number of messages. This Summit was specialising in government but now specialising in the government of the future; specialising in the government in the digital age. The question now is how to use technology to accelerate and leapfrog and in the same time avoid the more complicated and more challenging side of the use of technology.”

On why trade forecasts recently predicted slower economic growth rates with growth moderating after a period of recovery, the OECD chief, said, “Last May OECD projected the global economy would grow at about 4.00 per cent at 2019 and 2020. However last November we projected the growth to be at 3.5 per cent. Why this 0.5 per cent drop? Tension emerged in the world of trade, primarily between the US and China.

“More paradoxically, as the oil prices fell down, the situation worsened. The dramatic thing about it is that this happened as we started the recovery period. The solution is so simple: avoid trade tensions,” he continued.

The OCED chief seemed skeptical about cryptocurrency. “It’s a crypto asset. This currency started at a value of $70 thousand and it is now $4 thousand only. There is a lot of speculations. At the end, they are speculative assets. They are not generally accepted and they are not regular. Frankly, I think in some cases you could keep some of them while making sure to protect investors and the public.”

Angel Gurria was appointed as the Secretary-General of the OECD on 1 June 2006. He is currently serving his third five-year mandate. Angel Gurria has firmly established the Organisation as a pillar of the global economic governance architecture including the G20, G7 and APEC, and a reference point in the design and implementation of better policies for better lives.

Jobs

Editors Choice

21 in 39 Boeing planes in Middle East in 2018 are UAE carriers

WAM: Boeing delivered 39 airplanes in 2018 to its regional customers in the Middle East, 21 of which were to UAE carriers, according to Bernard J. Dunn, President, Boeing Middle East, North Africa and Turkey. In an exclusive interview with the Emirates News Agency,...

RTA opens main bridge at intersection of Expo Road, Al Asayel Street

WAM: Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has opened a main bridge at the intersection of Expo Road and Al Asayel Street. The bridge is a part of Phase 5 of the roads network leading to Expo site. The completion rate of this phase has exceeded 50 percent, and...

Immigration officers at NAIA banned from using phones while on duty

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has barred its personnel at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) as well as other international ports in the country from using cell phones while on duty. BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said that the move seeks to ensure that...

What to expect on Catriona Gray’s grand homecoming event

Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray has arrived in the Philippines for her official homecoming celebration and her fans can't wait for the grand events prepared for her. On Saturday morning, Gray, accompanied by her Miss Universe team, returned to the Philippines from...

Plan your outfits ahead of the summer season with Springfield ME

As the UAE still enjoys the chilly winds of the winter-spring season, this is likewise the perfect time to plan and get some shopping done for your outfits for the upcoming summer season. With accessible shops like Springfield ME, it’s now easier to find that outfit...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

Latest News
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and never miss a thing. No spam. Only hand-picked trending news.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 1 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

© 2018 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in News
UK learning from UAE e-government model: UK Minister
Published On  February 12, 2019
UAE exemplary for emerging economies, says UNCTAD Chief
Published On  February 12, 2019
Filipino university spearheads opportunities for Pinoy students, teachers to get educational, work experience at UAE-based institutions
Published On  February 11, 2019
Close