Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Feb 12 19, 6:19 am

PAL brings back ‘Love Bus’ is in the air

For those who have not seen or rode the Philippine Airlines' (PAL) Love Bus, worry no more as the airline has just brought it back. A quick trip down memory lane: Forty years ago, the flag carrier unveiled the Love Bus logo (a kiss mark) on an Airbus A300B4, a...

No tsunami threat after magnitude 6.5 Visayas quake

There is no threat of a tsunami following the magnitude 6.5 earthquake that hit Eastern Samar, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) on Tuesday assured the public. The quake of tectonic origin, with a depth of 17 kilometers, struck 19...

Saudi police arrest 13 people involved in foiled terror attack

Saudi Arabia police on Monday arrested at least 13 individuals involved in the foiled attack on a state security building in Riyadh province on Sunday. State news agency SPA reported that the arrested individuals were connected to Daesh, who earlier claimed...

Dubai sets an example of ‘Service-driven’ and ‘Tourism-driven’ economy: OECD Chief

by | News

Feb. 12, 19 | 6:19 am

WAM: At a time when oil is still a very important ingredient for the UAE economy, Dubai sets an example of “Service-driven” and “Tourism-driven” economy.

Jose Angel Gurria Trevino, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD, says “Dubai is now mostly service-driven; tourism-driven at the time oil is still a very important ingredient for the economy of the country.”

Speaking to the Emirates News Agency, WAM, on the sidelines of the now-running World Government Summit, WGS, he said, “The emirate is a very vibrant and engaging place thanks to all these rapid developments occurring around us here, including world-class medical facilities; a lot of people are coming here for work. And a lot of tourists and shoppers. The country created a different world for those coming for work and visit and enjoy.”

On his evaluation of the WGS, the OECD chief said, “The World Government Summit delivers more than one single message. There is rather a number of messages. This Summit was specialising in government but now specialising in the government of the future; specialising in the government in the digital age. The question now is how to use technology to accelerate and leapfrog and in the same time avoid the more complicated and more challenging side of the use of technology.”

On why trade forecasts recently predicted slower economic growth rates with growth moderating after a period of recovery, the OECD chief, said, “Last May OECD projected the global economy would grow at about 4.00 per cent at 2019 and 2020. However last November we projected the growth to be at 3.5 per cent. Why this 0.5 per cent drop? Tension emerged in the world of trade, primarily between the US and China.

“More paradoxically, as the oil prices fell down, the situation worsened. The dramatic thing about it is that this happened as we started the recovery period. The solution is so simple: avoid trade tensions,” he continued.

The OCED chief seemed skeptical about cryptocurrency. “It’s a crypto asset. This currency started at a value of $70 thousand and it is now $4 thousand only. There is a lot of speculations. At the end, they are speculative assets. They are not generally accepted and they are not regular. Frankly, I think in some cases you could keep some of them while making sure to protect investors and the public.”

Angel Gurria was appointed as the Secretary-General of the OECD on 1 June 2006. He is currently serving his third five-year mandate. Angel Gurria has firmly established the Organisation as a pillar of the global economic governance architecture including the G20, G7 and APEC, and a reference point in the design and implementation of better policies for better lives.

Jobs

Editors Choice

PPIE na! Handa na ba kayo?

PPIE na! Handa na ba kayo?

DUBAI: Filipinos across the UAE are excited about the much-awaited 7th edition of the Philippine Property and Investment Exhibition (PPIE) happening April 26 and 27 where major property developers from the Philippines will be huddled under one roof, rolling out best...

LOOK: Palm Sunday 2019 mass schedules in the UAE

Catholic faithful around the UAE are expected to gather at the churches today, April 14 as they celebrate Palm Sunday that marks the beginning of the Holy Week and the last week of the Lenten season. Palm Sunday commemorates the arrival of Jesus in Jerusalem before...

Overseas absentee voting for Filipinos begins

DUBAI: Registered overseas Filipino voters start trooping to the Philippine Embassy and Consulate on April 13 as they cast their votes in the Philippines' midterm election where 12 Senate seats and one in the lower house are at stake. This as Ambassador Hjayceelyn...

‘Go out and vote’ — PH officials urge OFWs

DUBAI: It’s all systems go for the Philippine Embassy and Consulate as polling stations open at 8am on Saturday, April 13, in what will be the start of a 29-day electoral exercise of some 361,265 registered overseas Filipino voters in the UAE, who will be making their...

New policy on sponsoring relatives

New policy on sponsoring relatives

DUBAI: The Filipino community in the UAE has welcomed the host government’s move to approve a measure requiring expats bringing their family members to the country to show proof of income instead of profession as has been the practice. Though an income bracket has yet...

Fil-Canadian vlogger Mikey Bustos comes out

Filipino-Canadian YouTube star and vlogger Mikey Bustos has come out as a gay man through a social media post on Sunday. In his Instagram account, Mikey posted a photo of himself and his male friend, RJ Garcia, and #NewLife while on vacation in Puerto Galera. The post...

Three mild earthquakes hit Siargao, Agusan—Phivolcs

After two major earthquakes over the last couple of days, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said that it has detected three more “mild” tectonic earthquakes Siargao Island and Agusan del Sur early Wednesday morning. In its bulletin,...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

Latest News
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and never miss a thing. No spam. Only hand-picked trending news.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 1 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

© 2018 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in News
UK learning from UAE e-government model: UK Minister
Published On  February 12, 2019
UAE exemplary for emerging economies, says UNCTAD Chief
Published On  February 12, 2019
Filipino university spearheads opportunities for Pinoy students, teachers to get educational, work experience at UAE-based institutions
Published On  February 11, 2019
Close