Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Feb 12 19, 6:19 am

Dubai makes it to Lonely Planet’s top 10 cities to visit in 2020

With the upcoming World Expo 2020, Dubai has been recently placed in Lonely Planet's top 10 cities to visit next year. Dubai ranked 9th in the list of cities that were voted by a panel of travel experts. Lonely Planet also highlighted the opening of the Museum of the...

Al-Futtaim Toyota goes pink this October

DUBAI: As part of its support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Al-Futtaim Toyota, in collaboration with Pink Caravan mini-mobile clinic has provided free screenings to over 120 female associates in the third week of October. As part of the initiative, up to 70 women...

Dubai sets an example of ‘Service-driven’ and ‘Tourism-driven’ economy: OECD Chief

by | News

Feb. 12, 19 | 6:19 am

WAM: At a time when oil is still a very important ingredient for the UAE economy, Dubai sets an example of “Service-driven” and “Tourism-driven” economy.

Jose Angel Gurria Trevino, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD, says “Dubai is now mostly service-driven; tourism-driven at the time oil is still a very important ingredient for the economy of the country.”

Speaking to the Emirates News Agency, WAM, on the sidelines of the now-running World Government Summit, WGS, he said, “The emirate is a very vibrant and engaging place thanks to all these rapid developments occurring around us here, including world-class medical facilities; a lot of people are coming here for work. And a lot of tourists and shoppers. The country created a different world for those coming for work and visit and enjoy.”

On his evaluation of the WGS, the OECD chief said, “The World Government Summit delivers more than one single message. There is rather a number of messages. This Summit was specialising in government but now specialising in the government of the future; specialising in the government in the digital age. The question now is how to use technology to accelerate and leapfrog and in the same time avoid the more complicated and more challenging side of the use of technology.”

On why trade forecasts recently predicted slower economic growth rates with growth moderating after a period of recovery, the OECD chief, said, “Last May OECD projected the global economy would grow at about 4.00 per cent at 2019 and 2020. However last November we projected the growth to be at 3.5 per cent. Why this 0.5 per cent drop? Tension emerged in the world of trade, primarily between the US and China.

“More paradoxically, as the oil prices fell down, the situation worsened. The dramatic thing about it is that this happened as we started the recovery period. The solution is so simple: avoid trade tensions,” he continued.

The OCED chief seemed skeptical about cryptocurrency. “It’s a crypto asset. This currency started at a value of $70 thousand and it is now $4 thousand only. There is a lot of speculations. At the end, they are speculative assets. They are not generally accepted and they are not regular. Frankly, I think in some cases you could keep some of them while making sure to protect investors and the public.”

Angel Gurria was appointed as the Secretary-General of the OECD on 1 June 2006. He is currently serving his third five-year mandate. Angel Gurria has firmly established the Organisation as a pillar of the global economic governance architecture including the G20, G7 and APEC, and a reference point in the design and implementation of better policies for better lives.

Jobs

Latest News

Saudi bans using curtains in car

Saudi bans using curtains in car

Drivers using curtains in their cars in Saudi Arabia are committing a traffic offense and will be fined up to SR300 ($80), according to the local media. The Traffic Police Department said using curtains in cars is one of the main causes of accidents in the Gulf...

WATCH: Saudi party turns chaotic as guests begin fistfight

Scores of men fought each other with fists and head covers at a party that suddenly turned into a fistfight in Saudi Arabia. A video published in local newspapers showed several guests at the part in the Northern town of Rafha punched and kicked each other as women...

Sarah Geronimo fulfills dream movie project with “Unforgettable”

Popstar Royalty and Box Office Queen Sarah Geronimo surprises her fans with a new movie that she never expected to fulfill. Geronimo shares that the full-length dog movie was a ‘dream project’ which she has long wished to do. Conceptualized and co-directed by the...

Duterte says he’s in ‘pain’ after motorcycle accident

President Rodrigo Duterte has revealed that he is in pain after his motorcycle accident last week. The President has decided to cut short his trip to Japan to witness the enthronement of Emperor Naruhito this week. In a short Facebook live video of Senator Bong Go,...

Woods more likely to use one of his wildcards on himself

NARASHINO, Japan: Tiger Woods has indicated he might use one of his four Presidents Cup captain’s picks on himself, noting that his fitness was ahead of schedule following an arthroscopic knee surgery. “I’m probably a week early. My season had ended a little bit...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

Latest News
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and never miss a thing. No spam. Only hand-picked trending news.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 1 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

© 2018 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in News
UK learning from UAE e-government model: UK Minister
Published On  February 12, 2019
UAE exemplary for emerging economies, says UNCTAD Chief
Published On  February 12, 2019
Filipino university spearheads opportunities for Pinoy students, teachers to get educational, work experience at UAE-based institutions
Published On  February 11, 2019
Close