FeatureLatest NewsNewsTFT News

OFW family in UAE saved from Satwa raze by alert of Indian neighbors

A Dubai-based Filipino expressed her gratitude to her Indian neighbors who helped her and her family, as well as their other neighbors, get out of their burning house in Satwa on September 24.

Gina Fe Sanico, 34, told The Filipino Times that if it weren’t for the Indian who alerted them about the fire, they probably not survive the ordeal.

Sanico said the blaze started at around 5 AM in their villa in Al Badaa, Satwa due to a defected electrical outlet where they used to plug in their microwave. The smoke went all the way to the ceiling, and reached a gas tank two meters away, resulting in an explosion and further spread of the fire.

She said the Indian living in their building, who was always going to the gym, woke up at around 5 AM to the sight of the smoke and fire. Knowing that they would have been trapped, she said he and his brothers immediately knocked on their door and helped them quickly get out of the villa—just in time before the said gas tank exploded.

The OFW said that in their haste, they ran without any footwear and with only the clothes on their back. Even the balikbayan box they were supposed to send to the Philippines had been engulfed by the fire.

“From our family, nagpapasalamat kami ng sobra sobra sa mga Indian brothers n nangalamapag ng pintuan at nagligtas sa amin during the fire! Utang po namin sa kanila ang second life namin lalo n dun sa nakakita ng apoy,” she said.

She also expressed her deep gratitude to the many Filipino groups who donated goods and essential items to her and her family, adding that they received so much assistance that they had to donate some to others in need.

READ ALSO: OFW victim of Satwa fire: We got so much help, we had to donate some to others in need

“Ang daming dumagdag na tulong even today, may mga calls and messages pa rin. Around 25 Filipino groups po ang nagpaabot ng tulong, bukod sa iba pang galing sa mga friends and strangers,” she said.

Sanico also noted that the Philippine Consulate General in Dubai was quick to provide assistance, with Consul General Paul Raymund Cortes calling her to ask if they need any assistance and if their passports were still intact.

The OFW said that all the assistance they received were equally divided to all the 20 victims of the fire, as well as to the Indians who helped them get out of their burning house.

“Sa lahat ng mga nagpaabot ng tulong, maraming maraming salamat po sa inyong lahat! God bless us all!” she said.

READ ALSO: No barrier in Bayanihan: OFW victim of Satwa fire recounts how fellow Filipinos, Indians help them survive the raze

Staff Report

The Filipino Times is the chronicler of stories for, of and by Filipinos all over the world, reaching more than 236 countries in readership. Any interesting story to share? Email us at [email protected]

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close